April VerchMake Press Inquiry
Fiddler, singer, and stepdancer April Verch knows how relevant an old tune can be. She was raised surrounded by living, breathing roots music—her father’s country band rehearsing; the lively music at church and at community dances; the tunes she rocked out to win fiddle competitions. She thought every little girl learned to stepdance at the age of three and fiddle at the age of six. She knew nothing else and decided early on that she wanted to be a professional musician.
She took that leap, and for over two decades has been recording and captivating audiences worldwide, exploring new and nuanced places each step of the way. Once A Day, via Slab Town Records.followup to her 2017 career-spanning release The April Verch Anthology, this new album is a
While Verch is perhaps best known for playing traditional fiddle styles from her native Ottawa Valley, Canada, her performances extend into old-time American and Appalachian styles and far beyond, for a well-rounded tour-de-force of North Americana sounds. Verch and her fellow trio members pare down their arrangements, highlighting the simple pleasures of upright bass, guitar, clawhammer banjo, voices, fiddle, and stepping in intimate conversation. At the heart lie Verch’s delicate voice, energetic footwork, and stunning playing. Sometimes she sings, steps and fiddles all at once, with apparent ease and precision. Verch is - as they say - a triple threat in performance, her live show a beautiful companion to her music: versatile, robust, and masterfully executed.
Verch began her full time touring career in 2000 and has performed around the world, including festival, theatre and performing arts centre appearances in Canada, USA, China, Australia, United Kingdom, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France, Spain, Czech Republic and the United Arab Emirates. She also presents workshops, master classes, and lectures as part of her tours and at selected music camps.
Verch won’t be the one to tell you about her championship titles, nominations, and awards, or the fact that she was one of 6 fiddlers who represented the Canadian fiddle tradition to the world at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, as part of a segment called "Fiddle Nation”. Instead, in speaking with her, you’ll hear about how passionate she is about sharing her music; in small gatherings in remote communities in Iqaluit, to large prestigious concert halls like Mozartsal in Vienna.
Even as she plays with the tradition she inherited, Verch keeps the community-fired celebratory side of her music at the forefront, honing a keen awareness of how to engage contemporary listeners. It’s why Rolling Stone cited her “One of the 12 best things we saw at MerleFest in 2016.”
“Just as contemporary bluegrass has Alison Krauss as an ambassador, the Ottawa Valley has April Verch,” said NPR’s Marco Werman on “The World.” And Verch never forgets the roots of her music, that connection to the people out there in the audience, on the dance floor, to the community sparked by a good song. “It’s about joining together to celebrate everyday life, through music. We’re all in this together.”
Americana/Roots | World Music/Traditional | Country
April Verch Announces New Album - Once A Day - To Be Released April 12th
Renowned fiddler, singer, step dancer, and songwriter April Verch has announced the release of a new album entitled Once A Day available April 12 via Slabtown Records. On Once A Day, the Ottawa Valley native pays a heartfelt homage to 1950s and 60s classic country—a sound that may be surprising to some fans, but is integral to her musicality. Verch herself handpicked the record’s fifteen tracks, breathing life back into some of the most treasured tunes in traditional North...
- 10/23/2020, Charlotte, NC, Charlotte Folk Society , 7:30 PM View
- 10/22/2020, Atlanta, GA, Townsend Center for the Performing Arts, 7:30 PM View
- 04/18/2020, Columbia, SC, TOL Coffeehouse, 7:30 PM View
- 04/17/2020, Savannah, GA, Folk at The Landings, 7:30 PM View
- 04/11/2020, Frederick, MD, New Spire Arts, 7:30 PM View
- 04/10/2020, Charlotte, NC, Charlotte Folk Society, 7:30 PM View
- 02/29/2020, Plymouth, IN, Wild Rose Moon, 2 shows! 7 PM or 9 PM View
- 02/26/2020, Fish Creek, WI, The White Gull Inn, 8:00 PM View
- Anti-Heroin Chic, Feature story, 02/04/2017, Interview & Story
- Rambles.net, Album review, 03/17/2017, The April Verch Anthology
- Up On The Mountain, Interview, 03/26/2017, Podcast Interview
- Country Music Magazine UK, Album review, 04/13/2017, Women of Country
- Kultur Ingolstadt (Germany), Feature story, 05/08/2017, Singen, geigen, steppen
- Celtic Life International, Feature story, 07/01/2017, Canadian musician April Verch is helping to redefine traditional fiddling
- Elmore Magazine, Event preview, 07/07/2017, April Verch, woman on the move
- Apartment613, Event preview, 07/07/2017, Canada Scene: NAC will host a diverse group of Canada’s most beloved fiddlers on Saturday night